Beet and Feta Burgers
Photo by David Frenkiel, which accompanied Luise Vindahl's recipe at Green Kitchen Stories post for July 22, 2013.
Sally has started posting the Glade Road Growing farm share here and June 9 is slated to include broccoli, rainbow chard, beets, summer squash, scallions, and head lettuce. If you're not going to cook the beets right away, trim the greens as soon as you get your share home and store them separately in a large plastic bag.
I've adapted this recipe for the beets and scallions from one of my favorite food blogs, Green Kitchen Stories, based in Stockolm, where David is a photographer/writer and Luise is a nutritional therapist.
1. Wash beets in two rinses of water. Trim beet greens and reserve. Peel beets and discard peels. Grate 3 cups of the peeled roots on a box grater into a large bowl (or you can use a food processor with the grating blades attached.)
2. Wash scallions in two rinses of water. Trim greens and reserve. Peel bulbs and grate along with two cloves of peeled garlic. Peel and finely chop another two cloves of garlic and reserve to cook with the greens.
3. To the bowl with the beets, onions and garlic add and mix well:
1.5 cups rolled oats
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
4. Add in 7 ounces of crumbled feta cheese (you can firm tofu, to make this vegan), a handful of fresh basil, sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
5. Set aside in fridge for at least 30 minutes, so that the oats absorb the liquid and the patties will hold together.
6. While beet mixture is setting up, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch beet greens for 2 minutes until tender. Transfer immediately to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking and preserve color, then drain and squeeze the water out from its leaves. Chop coarsely.
7. Chop onion greens. Heat 2 TB extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large, cast iron skillet.. Add the finely chopped garlic and 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant and translucent, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in the greens. Stir for a couple of minutes, until the greens are nicely seasoned with garlic and oil. Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat. Set aside to serve as a bed for the burgers.
8. Peel and slice 2 ripe avocados and a mango for use as a garnish.
9. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet and heat.
10. Try shaping a patty with your hands. If the mixture is to loose, add some more oats. Divide into six to eight portions. Shape as many patties as will fit in your skillet and fry until golden on both sides. Transfer onto a plate. Continue making patties and frying until all the mixture is used.
11. Serve patties on whole-grain sourdough buns on a bed of the cooked beet greens and garnished with mango and avocado. If you have extra greens, they will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
Photo of week 2 share by Michael Surphin.
Beet and Feta Burgers
beets|CSA|feta|Glade Road Growing|SAMPLER|scallions|sustainable agriculture|