Photo by Marcus Nilsson for Bon Appetite.
JP says the July 18 bag share will include carrots and beets, so I thought a salad with a curry dressing might be nice. I liked this picture accompanying a recipe by Rebecca Collerton, who at the time had just finished a stint at Brooklyn's Mr. Curry. I could find no news of where she is now. The recipe called for "curry powder." The spice blend in this dressing is my own.
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smash, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon miso
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 small beets or 2 large beets quartered, peeled and sliced thin
4 medium carrots, peeled, shaved lengthwise into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1 tablespoon lime juice
1. In a warm, oiled skillet, toast pistachios until golden brown and season with sea salt. Let cool, then chop coarsely.
2. In a small saucepan, toast curry spices over medium heat, add oil and bring to a simmer, swirling occasionally. Let cool.
3. In a blender, process garlic, miso, vinegar, and mustard. With the motor running, stream in curry oil. Blend until dressing is smooth. This dressing can be made up to two days ahead of time.
4. Toss beets and half of dressing in a medium bowl; season with salt. Let sit until beets soften slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add carrots and remaining dressing and toss. Season with lime juice.
5. Arrange on a platter or in individual bowls and serve topped with pistachios.